Friday, May 15, 2015

IN TOUCH WITH LIL CHIEF

He is the Lil chief of BGF hip hop, I hooked up with him on the net and this interesting conversation came up.



Thank you 013 Hip Hop for having me here. So honoured.

Jowise: Who is Lil chief (real name) and how did the name Lil chief come about?

Lil Chief: Lil Chief is a young, humbled, Hip Hop Cares award winning, passionate hip hop artist, whose real names are Phihlela Breyten Mashegoane. The name Lil Chief was given to me by my supporters back in high school when we used to host cyphers/freestyles after school behind the classes and they started calling me 'the Chief of rap,' and the 'Lil' is something like a 'junior,' people always ask 'what are you gonna call yourself when you grow up?' and I always tell them 'no matter how old I'm gonna be, I'll remain Lil Chief.'

JW: Where were you born (home town and vill/kasi)?

LC: I'm village boy and I'm so proud of that, I was born at Meclenburg Hospital (Moroke) in 1994 on the 5th of October in Burgersfort town.

JW: When and how did you enter the game? What inspire you as an artist?

LC: I started listening to Hip Hop at the age of 10, but I really fell in love with it in 2008 and I was 13. I was inspired by an American rapper known as T.I when he released the Paper Trail album in 2008. I knew his songs word to word, that's when I started writing my own lines, getting studio connections and all that. What inspires me as an artist is the gift of being creative, I'm honored to be blessed with such a creative mind and that inspire me the most. The support from my supporters as well, keeps me focused and motivated all day every day.

JW: which song you recommend as the masterpiece you ever voiced out?


LC: Uhm, All the Time, featuring Tumi. This is my first single and it says a lot about how deep I am in this music career. Hence I'm saying 'I do this all the time.' Shout out to Tumi and Lu-whizz beats out there.


JW: How will you describe your style of music?

LC: I used to do club bangers and trap hip hop but my upcoming album is gonna be totally different, it has music that involves emotions and feelings, especially about relationships and life in general. I guess I've grown enough musically to be rapping about things people can't relate to.

JW: What do you think about the Burgersfort movement/hip hop?

LC: Honestly, BGF hip hop has grown; I give a credit to all rappers raising bars, representing the town. But I'm not happy with the support and recognition, I feel like Burgersfort hip hop is not getting the spotlight it really deserves, I mean, the Tubatse municipality should be involved to help put our own town on the map; we can't do it alone without the support from our ground. I think Tubatse fm is not doing enough to put our music out there; this is a Burgersfort radio station, how about we keep it local? Most radio stations support their local musicians before other, why can't our own radio station play our music? We all in the same boat of raising the town at the end of the day.

JW: You must have the local (BGF) mc/mc’s that you respect, drop name/names?

LC:  Hahaha, let me see, uhm I respect Kaye Gee, I think he's one of the raising stars in hip hop in Burgersfort. His quality and delivery is out of this state. But I have a list of my good MC's in BGF, just to name a few, Turm, Prism, Nose, Monster Saint, Dizz, Cru and etc.
Doing what I love


JW: Who is your local (South African) artist and international you grew up listening to?

LC: Locally I grew up listening to Flabba and the whole Skwatta Camp, may his soul rest in peace. Internationally it has to be T.I, but I have a list as well.

JW: What can be done for the BGF movement to be a success like movements like motswako hip hop, DBN rocks etc.?

LC: We need the Tubatse Municipality to be involved, we need event organizers to consider hip hop on their line-ups, we need Tubatse fm to help us get our music known out there, we need good quality studios and support from Burgersfort people first before the whole world can start supporting us, they say 'charity begins at home,' and BGF is our home, let's begin here.

JW: What do you feel distinguish “an artist” from just a musician?

LC: The 'love of the art' itself distinguishes an artist from just a musician. Being an artist is when you put your whole heart in your art, doing it from love not because of fame, money and all that. Being an artist is something beyond the talent itself.

JW: What can be expected from Lil chief in the near future?

LC: Good music and nothing beyond that. I'm currently working on my first studio album, even though I'm not sure whether to name it an album or an EP(extended play) but I can assure you, whatever that is gonna be, it's dropping this year. There's gonna be a music video as well but I don't wanna confirm anything yet, I'm still on the process of planning all that.
From dusty stage aiming at the global top stage


JW: Do you think local municipalities and businesses support local talent?

LC: To be honest, no. I already said it, the municipality should be involved, at least if we could have 2 big events in Burgersfort each year, just like Hip Hop Cares but we need some events done by our municipality, I'm not talking about hip hop only but music in general. Ethekwini municipality is always involved in the Durban Rocks events, we need such support too. We have a lot of mines in BGF and I think they could put some hands in, I bet the town is gonna be recognized across the country, we need to see BGF artists on Channel O, MTV and those channels, but without great support, it's gonna be way too difficult to reach such levels.

Is there anything that your fans need to know about Lil chief and latest and any latest singles links.

LC: Many people keep wondering 'where in BGF is Lil Chief from?' Well, I'm from Motlolo Village, known better as Motville. Shout out to The 013 Hip Hop for having me here, I'm so much grateful. We are blessed to have such things in Burgersfort, to motivate us and spread our words out there. You can check me out on social networks, feel free to be part of Lil Chief Squad, Twitter: @LilChiefThaKiid, Facebook: Lil'Chief Tha'K, Facebook Page link: 
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Lil-

Chief/238834099585357 and BBM: 2BD7D42C, BBM Channel: C003EF7A2. You can as well check out my music on the following links
:

Lil Chief ft. Tumi - All The Time(music video): 
www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kZVDLfOU6I&sns=tw

Lil Chief ft. Tumi - All The Time: http://
www.datafilehost.com/d/523bb9cd

Lil Chief ft. Various BGF artists - BGF Movement: 
http://www.datafilehost.com/d/ec31ca6b

Lil Chief - Dance For Me: 
http://www.datafilehost.com/d/dff850b80

Lil Chief - Tuesday(remix): 
www.datafilehost.com/d/f8e0ef1d

Lil Chief ft. ThatBoy Dee - LowKey: 
http://www.datafilehost.com/d/4fb37bce

No comments:

Post a Comment

Man On The Throne.

N ose has proven beyond reasonable doubt that he is the king of BGF hip hop. with his 2016 single from November Man mixtape #200, Nos...