Sunday, May 8, 2016

From 021 to 013. In Touch With Gunna




This man is one of the men that make me believe that anything is possible regardless of living conditions. He is a Cape Town rapper busting rhymes from a wheelchair. I got in touch with The Real Gunna.

Wise: Gunna ma dwag

Gunna: What’s good my G

Wise: I'm collected my guy. How is the cape today?

Gunna: It’s really windy n cold G but can't complain. Just getting' ready to take over the world. And ya side?

Wise: it's cool with winter sneaking on us. So you ready?

Gunna: Ready as hell

Wise: Ma man that's what I like to hear. First tell us about Gunna. Who is Gunna and what is he about?

Gunna: Gunna is an artist, brand, and entrepreneur and does hip hop musik. What Gunna is about is creative thinking, positivity, inspiring the youth and most importantly tryna make somethin' out of nothin'. I believe I'm Blessed. So I'm using' that to bless other people through my musik.


Wise: Ma man I'm sure my audiences wanna know where you hail from....

Gunna: I'm from the murder capital (haha) - A biggest township in Cape Town that goes by the name of "Khayelitsha" the code is 7784 - But was born in Mitchells Plain, also from Cape Town just that it was more of a suburb than khayelitsha. Moved from there to Khayelitsha in 1998 after ma pops passed in 1997. So yea, that's where this rose that grew from the concrete hail from.

Wise: hahaha ok, when did you get into this rapping Game?

Gunna: I've always been here by Heart, just that couldn't get a chance of a Studio time - After I left high school (dropped out) in 2010, I started gettin' closer n closer, and while I was in hospital I jot down some rhymez over beatz I copped from the internet. When I got out in 2012 out of hospital, I met with a producer who owns a record label "Paperwork Productions" - And dropped my first official single in 2013 with them, dropped another one same year then recorded a full album (which I haven't dropped til' today caus' of poor quality I got from that label) - So since then, I've been puttin' in work raisin' bar for the culture to remain relevant to the game. By the way right now I'm with Purple Beats Studios; I also
own a record label aswel RMG Records

Wise: You stayed at the hospital for a while. wanna talk about it?

Gunna: Yes sir I can talk about it - I stayed in hospital for almost a year last time I was there to amputate my right leg after it got infected by the bullet that hit me back in 2008, when I was young dumb and livin' life on a fast lane and associated withe wrong people and got caught up in the mix. All of that experience had a young men livin' life on a wheelchair and still I push forward can't give up that's what I was taught. Make long story short, I got shot in 2008 and that's the reason I've been in and out of hospital. I opened my eyes in 2013 that now I got make a change in my life and for the better. Since then I've never been to hospital. I hate them (haha) but shout out to my doctor, he gave me hope and I gave him a great experience, I almost died last time I was there but being this soldier God created I'm still here. Thanks for askin' G.

Wise: Ma man I was inspired when I heard you a rapper sitting on a wheelchair. Now coming back to music, who did you grow up listening to and who is your biggest influence?


Gunna: I grew up listening to a lot of Tupac, Eminem, Dr Dre, Snoop Dogg, The Game, 50 Cent to name a few. But mostly was influenced by 2pac caus' it looked like me and him had the same vision, he spoke to me soul to soul heart to heart beat for a beat.

Wise: And what challenges do you face as a rapper, in fact as Gunna?

Gunna: As an artist the challenge I'm facin' is that people wanna support you when you're on tv, magazine or winning. As a brand, the challenge I'm facin' so far is none (haha). As an entrepreneur, I'm still on the rise and my challenge is gettin' those deals but I'm gettin' there, I'm on my way up. I'm in this business caus' it’s a challenge itself to be here, and I'm here to win and take it all. For my people, my familia. Failure for me is a livin' proof that I'm tryin' and learning - So now all I have to do is get up and try again from what I've learnt. It goes on and on. Nobody can stop me now but God.

Wise: What is the highlight of your career?

Gunna: When I was featured on HYPE Magazine representin' Cape Town as the Best Newcomer in 2016, it was a feb/march issue. That's the biggest achievement in my career by far. I also took part as a performer a year ago at iKasi Experience, it’s a biggest township event hosted by DJ LOYD and Sir Vincent. Also released the best EP to come out of CPT last year entitled "Revolution" - Also got 3 singles that's been played at Bush Radio on the Headwarmaz Show. It’s been a great journey and there's more still to come.

Wise: Ma man, now tell me, you've been vocal in raising your concern against promoters not booking the locals especially upcoming artists. Tell us about it

Gunna: Yea G - that's a big issue around here that they sleepin' on. We have a lot of talent in the local and some of us are workin' so hard but still, we ain't recognized. Now they make us believe we gotta head to Joburg to make it, whereas there are organizers who are doing it big in events who only focusing on getting major artists and sleeping on the great upcoming artists like us. Caus' they only wannaa eat alone, Casper is already getting' millions but these people still book him in Cape Town. What about us gettin' that paper they givin' them to support our families aswel? Caus' we also do this music for them but they do nothin' for us. It’s a big problem and most artists enjoy being booked for free, that's like robbing me off my talent man my hard work. They have to give us a chance to shine and get that money, they shouldn't eat alone. But I will also empower artists to not only depend on them, save money get a team together people who are organized to sit down with and plan your own event, book your own people and pay them for their time so we can all eat. That's part of my mission, all we need is to just unite and support each other's visions. Even though it ain't easy


Wise: But the question however, does upcoming artists sell themselves enough, do you guys go out there pull all the muscles to network and grow a working and professional relationship with promoters ?

Gunna: Promoters don't wanna be found. And when you find them, they run away. I don't wanna drop names and sound like a hater, but to be honest it’s like that. I appreciate the organizers who recognizing' me and book me but I feel like there's more than that. Caus' you can't ask me to go to Town where people pay to get in and I perform but you can't pay me for my time. There's nothin' professional about that if you ask me, it’s just wastin' my time. Like them, we also wanna eat and respek them so we expect the same. We superstars as well people look up to us, we should be treated like ones. I'm not looking' for fame, but somethin' to make a livin' with. Until they give us, we gon' be aight. But for now, they wanna give it to the guys who already gettin' it. There's politics as well here.

Wise: Haha ok I hear you man. What are your social med handles where people can get hold of you?

Gunna: I'm @RealGunnaTR everywhere (Facebook, Twitter & IG) - And our page is "Revolution Music Group" –

Wise: Ma ninja. Keep pushing man, keep them lights on. we celebrate and appreciate your life

Gunna: Highly Appreciated G - and thanks to all those who keep showin' love also for a nygga, caus' I couldn't get inspiration if it wasn't for them givin' their love. I will always do it for the people, caus' we people caus' people. Whether it breaks us or makes us, but people make other people. Peace to the World
Wise: That's what's up

Links......................Welcome 2 Planet Gunna pt. 1&2:

Smoke Signals (feat. @kingkush_sa)
http://www.datafilehost.com/d/bc89f728
http://www.datafilehost.com/d/b4748a44




No comments:

Post a Comment

Man On The Throne.

N ose has proven beyond reasonable doubt that he is the king of BGF hip hop. with his 2016 single from November Man mixtape #200, Nos...