Thursday, June 11, 2015

Labour Pains. (The Growth of Hip Hop in South Africa

I love Hip Hop; my first experience with this movement was when I first heard LL cool J’s album 14 shots to the dome. The experience was so great that I said to myself “man I want to hear something like that coming out of South African musicians.” When I first heard the Prophets of da City, that very moment I knew it was the beginning the movement was heading the right direction. But then I realised it was the beginning of south African Hip hop labour pains, the movement struggled in an ugly way because of lack of support. I've seen media failing to support the movement, big record companies lacking faith in the movement and people showing no support. I heard lot of kwaito artists dissing Hip Hop and in anger I watched South African Music Awards giving best Rap song. But me understanding Hip hop I always knew that it will come up. Hip hop from time to time survived player hating because player hating is its strong hold and there is no way one can beat Hip hop on its own game. Hip hop survived great world authorities and believe me CIA ain't got jack on Hip hop. The inception of Yfm played a vital role in elevating SA Hip hop. The first time Yfm reached 1 million listenership was on a Wednesday during the Rap Activity Jam.

For the first time the kwaito nation felt threatened, one of the successful Hip hop compilation produced by KayBee; The Muthaload, which featured rappers like Amu, Snazz D, Spex, Ramesh,Christine, Shorty Skillz, Loco, Bravestar... Dropped in 1997. I remember when the likes of Pro-kid and proverbs came into the game. Dj Fresh said "If South African don't make this time around I give up." Big up to dj's like bad boy T and AK just to mention a few, I loved the way they were shaping the movement. Then well-known Hip hop sessions like Black Sunday, Slaghuis, 1808, Splash Jam, Touchbase Tour, Forefront Movement, Evo Lokxion, Heavy Hitters, Back to the City and Puppet Masters played a super role and the labor pains finally done away. The job remaining was to grow the baby to great maturity. Hip hop is now rooted in SA; shout out to the brave cats and sacrifices they made to see this movement growing. There is still more to be done and movements and movements shall arise but only the strongest shall survive and the weak; Hip hop shall spit them out. Shout out to BGF Hip Hop weddings songs shall feel the heat very soon, Hip Hop cares and zeal radio niggas, ya'll are the right steppin stone. Keep up the good work. To Hip Hop one love.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Man On The Throne.

N ose has proven beyond reasonable doubt that he is the king of BGF hip hop. with his 2016 single from November Man mixtape #200, Nos...